Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Just so you don't get to thinkin'...


That this 'being a producer' business is all sugar cones and lollipops...

It's 3:23am as I write this, and I'm working.

Just finished a 'big time' email to a couple of key collaborators on one of the new TV series I'm producing.

Why?

Because I can't sleep.

Why?

Because my baby girl woke us up at 2am and I started thinking.

Seriously, when it gets this busy most of my challenge is about using my brain wisely and well during the day then allowing it to to slowly shut down (food, red wine and good sex with your wife helps tremendously, but don't tell her I told you our 'trade secrets'...) at night so that I can sleep.  Just tonight my wife was mentioning that we need to take a good drive together 'cause that's the only time I'll talk to her about what's going on.  She tries to talk to me at night, but I clam up 'cause I know that if I start talking about it, I won't be able to sleep.

Tonight being a case in point.

It's now 3:27am and I'm still awake.

So instead of lying there stewing, I just got up and friggin' plowed through an email to my guys, rhyming off every concern I had, putting it to rest so that, hopefully, I can get some.

Rest.

So long as I can stop worrying that I was too 'curt', 'direct', or 'mean' in my email to them...

'Cause it's 3:28am!

Dang'.

There's no business like this business.

T

No comments: