Wednesday, May 7, 2008

1st day...



So these shots are from the first official day of shooting on one of our new TV series.

'THE DAILY: with mark & laura-lynn' is a daily show I'm showrunning in Vancouver--kind of a 'breakfast television' (if you're Canadian) or a Regis & Kelly with a nighttime and a spiritual twist.

TD will run five days a week, primetime, for a half-hour.  We've got a 260 episode (1 full year) pickup right out of the gate which is pretty cool.  The site (www.thedailytv.ca) will be up in a week or so and you'll be able to see what we're up to through that point of access.

We shot six interviews this past Monday, I flew in Sunday then out monday afternoon.  Laura-lynn Tyler Thompson (one of the co-hosts on the series) did a real good job and I'm beginning to get a sense of her 'bent' as an interviewer and the ways in which I'm going to be able to help her really shine.  We had great guests, booked by our production team out there and everyone seemed quite jazzed.  

The set up was fairly typically stressed for a 'first day' but nowhere near as crazy as some of the days I've endured in the past.  I'm feeling confident we'll be able to craft a strong show with this one.  I head back this coming monday for five straight days of our first studio shoot.  I'm working on getting a new DSLR for this trip so I can shoot some 'actually nice' shots to replace the grainy 'video camera still' and 'photo booth' images I'm rockin' here.  Said new images will also feature on the new site.

Plus I just (need) a DSLR.

What I find continually interesting about this whole process is that you just get started, build momentum until the boulder's rolling, then you just hang on and hope for the best.  Once it's going there's not stopping it--it'll just happen because it HAS to.  Yes, the work of actually producing something is hard but, it seems to me, that it's nowhere near as hard as the work of getting to the point where you actually get to produce something.

So, if you're not 'there' yet, may I just offer you the slightest bit of encouragement that you 'can' and that once you do 'arrive' you'll find that all the suffering and perseverance you've accumulated along the way will have equipped you to do the things that need doing to keep you from getting killed by the boulder you've (!) created.

So keep at it kiddoes.

T

No comments: