Monday, October 29, 2012

Pre-game...


I have a pre-game ritual.

(or in this case a pre-preach ritual)

I always leave the highlighting of my sermon notes until about a half-hour before I preach. I learned this trick in high-school. No, I wasn't preaching then (although almost) I was studying for final exams.

I would compile my notes (research), organize 'em (outlining), then read 'em over and over (out loud) before finally re-writing the key parts while reading 'em (equivalent to writing then highlighting) to myself, again, out loud.

It worked with Grade 12 English, it works with Galatians.

The other thing about it is the whole 'ritual' part. I learned the importance of ritual while playing University football. I'd go through the same routine before every game. Later, I took that habit to the final moments before going live on TV across the Nation.

Always do the same stuff.

So, today, I make sure to sit down after all my pre-service responsibilities have been taken care of and just spend some time with my notes, a couple highlighters and the Holy Spirit.

Usually the 'groove' I find in those final moments is the same one that ends up happening in Worship and is the same one I ride all the way into the preaching.

T

No comments: