Friday, February 20, 2015

More of the same...


Sad but true, I need TUMS from time to time.

Heartburn.

For me, it's mostly stress-related or after exercise. I always carry around a roll of TUMS, some chap stick and a toothpick in my left side pants pocket. I'm so detailed about this, I have multiple sets of each for the pants I wear most frequently.

A little weird? Maybe.

Anyway, I was breezing through the supermarket yesterday with my boys after a great workout, picking up milk and dishwasher detergent and I made sure to walk down the pharmacy aisle to grab some TUMS as my supply was running short.

Usually I buy the classic 'mint flavoured' TUMS but they were out, so I just grabbed what was available, which happened to be a triple roll of 'fruit flavoured' extra-strength TUMS. I'd never bought 'extra strength' TUMS before (my life's not THAT stressed out) but I figured, no big deal, I'll just take one instead of two.

I couldn't have been more right.

When I opened the package just now I immediately noticed something funny. Can you spot it from the picture above? See, I'd been wondering, 'Just what IS is it about 'extra-strength' TUMS that makes them extra-strength?' Is the formulation more concentrated? Do they put some kind of super-stress-killing 'miracle compound' into it to make it 'better' than your run-of-the-mill mint-flavoured TUMS?

No.

Turns out, all they do is take two TUMS tablets, make 'em into one, and call it 'extra-strength'. Look at the thickness...

More of the same.

As soon as I realized this, I was struck with wondering how often I've been guilty of the same in my professional life as a Pastor/Producer? How often, instead of actually fixing the problem by, you know, coming up with something ground-breaking, Spirit-inspired, and creative, have I just tried to do 'more of the same' and hoped for the best?

Am I really just doubling up my tired, stale efforts, instead of figuring out a way to break new ground?

Something to consider.

Might even cause me enough stress to bring on the heartburn.

T

No comments: