Sunday, November 2, 2008

Me and a Hero...


Yup' that's me and 'the man' Dr. Robert Schuller, founder of 'The Crystal Cathedral' and 'The Hour of Power' one of the World's most-watched spiritual broadcasts.

My Grandma's going to freak when she hears about this.

That her grandson got to interview Dr. Schuller is about as close to wonderful as things get in her world.  

And it was pretty cool for me too.  See, his biography was the first biography I ever read.  I was a young teenager at the cottage one summer and Dr. Schuller's big red book jumped off my grandpa's bookcase at me and I read it front to back in a sitting or two.  

It was totally riveting.

The story of a young man with a dream and the story of how his dream became a reality.

Totally inspiring stuff.

And here's what I thought you should know.

1) I was terrified before starting my 'marathon interview day' in L.A.  So scared I'd screw it up or I'd lack inspiration or the stars would pull a hissy-fit ruining the whole day or the gear would break or our team would get into a steel cage match fight with each other--seeing as they hold such diverse views on what's 'right' and what's 'wrong' and all--or some such thing.  I was freaked out of my skull.  So, next time you're freaked out of your skull, do the thing anyway.

2) Dr. Schuller is a hero 'cause he deserves to be.  Possessed of an uncanny intelligence, a relentless drive and a deeply authentic passion for people, he's the real deal and deserves whatever accolades he gets.  If you (or I) want to be a person worthy of respect, we ought to get busy livin' and bustin' our asses to achieve that thing we dream of.  Nobody gets anywhere on the power of an idea alone.  

3) I was able to connect in a deep way with him and with the rest of our guests.  That means that you have the ability to do that thing that you think you're meant to do.  So long as you work and work and work at it and suffer long for it and keep at it and keep at it and keep at it and fight your way through the fear you can do whatever you wish.  I know that sounds cliche and 'pop-motivational' but I felt it to be true the other day as...

Lil' 'ol me did a thing I'd often dreamed of but had never yet done at that level.

Cavorting with giants and heroes.  

And all along the way my fear kept me humble and thankful and once it was done I felt grateful.

Fear.  Humility.  Gratitude.

Three good things to hold on to.

T

No comments: