Thursday, May 27, 2010

Carpe Diem...

I realize you're going to get sick of seeing pictures of the boat.

I'm not.

This is the end of the day, Sunday, when my Brother in law and I had arrived at our 'home' port. We stopped at the gas dock to check in, then made our way over to the dock to meet our cheering kids. 


As I walked the docks that evening, it was like I was having an out of body experience of sorts. I felt like I was walking through a dream. See, I've sat on the shores of our 'home' harbor for seven seasons straight, countless hours on the grass looking at the boats coming and going, dreaming of the day when I'd be coming and going.

So, to be there, doing it for the first time was breathtakingly wonderful. I was praying my thanksgiving ceaselessly in my heart as I walked.  The first time I used the 'fabled' key fob to get past the 'forbidden' gates to the marina I almost squealed.

Truly glorious.

And the joy of it for us was mixed with the very real pain of interceding for our dear friend whose wife was dying this week.

He's my age, she was a bit older, but nowhere near the age where you'd expect to get diagnosed with a brain tumor and be passing away less than a month later.

She died yesterday.

All of us who know them are groaning inwardly for our friend and his young son. It's been very sad and very meaningful at the same time as we've watched our friend's faith sustain him throughout, what must be, an impossibly difficult experience.

He's a pastor, leader of a thriving church that's part of a growing movement of churches. He's dedicated, focused, bright, passionate, hard-working, and now a widower.

At 35.

Heavy duty.

One of his last posts before his wife died said, "I am savoring every moment with my wife. You should be savoring every moment with yours..."

Yes Sir.  I'm listening.

Savor the moment. 

Use each moment.

Live full-speed.

Live thankfully, and in-fellowship with God, because life is short and doesn't make sense at all if you're living it exclusively for yourself.

I'm preaching the passage that leads up to this verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." this week at THE WELL.

Gonna' preach it for him.

Godspeed.

Carpe Diem...

T

No comments: