Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Wisdom of Robbie pt. 1...

So, I got Kate's permission to write this series of posts, just in case you're wondering...



Mom and I took a day trip to Rob and Kate's old KW neighborhood this week to collect their last things. Most of the trip sucked. This whole "life without Robbie" thing is getting no easier.

I actually started getting chest pain as we turned onto their street.

To add even *more* joy to the process we had to look into each box and bin to make sure we knew what was inside.

Awesome.

Then we found his 'office' files.

Oh wow.

The picture above is of his notebook. I'd seen him use this notebook over the years. He'd use it at lectures, at church, when brainstorming, while out playing. It was a fixture.

Well, wouldn't you know it, he'd written all over it. Written little snippets of motivational lines that helped him keep doing what God had called him to do.

I took seven pictures of the seven thoughts scribbled on it and figured I'd do seven posts (one each day, starting today...) reflecting on his thoughts.

"Always Thankful...Always Celebrate!"

Is that Robbie, or what?

He was one of the most positive people ever. Yes, he got prickly, but by and large his *demeanor* was one of happiness. It was clear that, in Jesus, and in his wife and kids, he had found a simple kind of contentment. He had a very close group of friends and a large group of friends with whom he just plain and simple enjoyed life. I think I only saw him truly mad once in my life.

He was thankful.

He also knew how to celebrate. I remember many parties, whether family get-togethers, or actual parties, where Robbies voice was always loudly raised, his eyes always bright with joy, and he just kept circulating throughout the room talking to everybody. He loved a good party.

He knew how to celebrate.

He was a weird mix of exuberant and laid back.

And he loved basketball.

I mean, how awesome is it that his 'work notebook', in addition to having pithy theological/motivational sayings scribbled all over it, was also festooned with plays to be run on a basketball court?

Beautiful.

When I saw that, I *knew* I had to write about it.

Here was a guy who had his priorities straight.

Thankful, prone to celebration, and a basketball nut.

Let his life remind you today to find things to be thankful for (so look around, and get noticing things) things worth celebrating and, in the midst of it all (taking your cue from him), be sure not to take yourself so seriously that you forget to play.


Love you man.

T



No comments: