Monday, April 23, 2012

The week that was...

Another photo recap for you this week...


My new bike. Thanks Mikey. It's an '87. 

When I took it into our local bike shop for new tires and a tune up the owner of the store started laughing. "Well, that's a classic..." he said. Positive guy that I typically am, I assumed he was giving me a compliment. Turns out it was a pretty good bike in its day. I'm told it'd be a $1,000 bike today. What I found most interesting was that he said that this (classic) bike will be 10 times better than the mountain bike I had been training on and that, if this year's triathlon goes well and I end up wanting to keep at it which might mean buying a new bike, I will find that today's version of my 'classic' will be 10 times (again) better than this one. 

I was amazed. 

"How could that be?" I asked. "It's got two wheels and a chain, how different could it be?" He smiled knowingly at me, shook his head a bit, and told me that someday I'd understand.

Progress.

Got me thinking about the man I am today versus the man I was ten years ago. 

Have I progressed anywhere near as much as bike technology has?


Hef.

Crazy.

I interviewed him last year and, just now, we're completing his episode. T'was pretty cool to see the interview cut down and packaged. Tells quite a story. I look forward to you being able to see it sometime later this year.

Main thing I took from my time with him is that passion and drive coupled with hard work and perseverance still tell the tale. Mr. Hefner comes across as a man possessed. He had a very clear vision of what his life was supposed to be about and his just went and pursued it.

Very informative to sit with him and measure (in the silence of my own heart and mind as we chatted) my own passion and drive against his.


Pool time. I've been emptying ours. What's interesting about this is that my Father in law offered me his amped-up Honda pump which, he told me, would empty the thing in an hour or so compared to the week it would take for my little submersible to do it.

I decided (mostly 'cause I was afraid of breaking his pump) to use mine. Took a week with me having to work at it a little each day. Interesting lesson there.

You don't have to have the best tools to get the job done. A little bit of simple, humble, consistent work can go a long way.

I guess you could say 'size' isn't everything after all!


My two littlest babies. 

Love this shot.

Sitting in the empty pool waiting for summer.

Sitting together.

It's important to make sure you don't spend your life alone (despite how much sharing your life with someone will cost you) because waiting is much better when you're not alone.


Another mastering session downtown.

I continue to be humbled to find myself working in the industry I set out to find myself working in ten years ago.

I am very grateful.

I remain very hopeful.

I was so inspired by the above image. Everything looks better on a big screen. Well worth the work and wait it took to get it up there.



Ah yes, 'Date Night' at THE WELL.

Once every two months we book our city's best indoor playground and provide free babysitting and free admission so our people can invite their friends out for a 'date night' knowing that their pastors will be watching their kids for the night.

Kids went wild. The new parents, dropping them off and picking them up, were amazed that a church would do something like this.

Cool.

A good week all told.

T


No comments: