Friday, April 29, 2016

Airborne...


Spent my week shooting the aerial unit for the big documentary series (and feature-length doc) my biz-partner and I are producing (with our team and some key collaborators) this year. When I was trying to explain to my wife why I was so fried each night after flying and filming all day, the best I could come up with was...

"Imagine getting up at 4am, driving an hour and half to the airport--skipping breakfast 'cause you're up before all the restaurants--then jumping into a helicopter that's alternately roasting (sun) or freezing (high altitude) and flying around like you're--literally--riding a roller coaster all day, then driving home (2 hours now 'cause of traffic) collapsing into bed, sleeping three hours ('cause you're jet-lagged) then doing it all again the next day, and then the next..."

Something like that.

Thing is, we're getting awesome (and I mean AWESOME) footage.

By FAR the best thing I've ever done as a director. Much of it has to do with our amazing cinematographer (a long-time collaborator and friend) as well as a wonderful setting and amazing gear and crew (all set up by my exec-producer/producer biz-partner) along with a very compelling subject, but still.

It's still little 'ol me writing and directing, and it's gigantic and awesome and amazing.

I felt almost emotional seeing the 'rushes' from day two.

"It's like we're actually making a movie or something..." I said. "Like, this NEEDS to be seen on the big-screen..."

A powerful moment.

Pretty cool.

Something to be very thankful for.

I feel like I'm flying...

T

No comments: