Monday, July 21, 2008

Back in the saddle...




Pretty moving, interesting moment just now.

It's 1:35am Pacific--or 4:35am Eastern (where I live) as I sit here in my hotel room overlooking Vancouver.

I just walked home from the studio downtown where we were shooting episodes 45-65 of 'THE DAILY: with mark & laura-lynn' yesterday and today.

What's different about tonight is that I walked home looking like a street walker.

Well, not quite.

But I had enough makeup on to be one.

Makeup?

Yes, makeup.

Why?

Well, because we were shooting episodes today that will air the last week of August and during that last week of August we will start promoting a show that I will be hosting.

That's right.

Back in front of the camera.

It's been four years since last I stood there--looking through that lens at sometimes thousands of people.  I'm feeling pretty excited about this next phase.

My executive producer--and good friend--is hoping I'll be a slightly 'kinder/gentler' version of me and--if the promos we shot tonight are any indication--I think 'slightly' is an accurate description.

However, though I don't feel much nicer I certainly do feel more aware--a little gentler, more tuned in to pain, a touch more empathic.  

I said to Niki a couple weeks ago that I think the last two years and all that have gone with 'em have set me up to be able to make even more of a contribution through my on-air work.

'Cause--for me--that's what it's about.

Adding something--ideally something valuable--to your life.

Encouragement, inspiration, conviction.

Those things.

So anyway--I need to pack and get ready to go home to my wife and babies but thought this little confession might be in order.

I feel thankful and moved.  Like I crossed another 'threshold' tonight.

Humbling, amazing, sobering.

Scary.

T

No comments: