Friday, July 4, 2008

In good company...

FROM: 'THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL' DIR. SCOTT DERRICKSON


FROM 'THE STORM' DIR. TODD CANTELON



From the 'aint that cool' files....

My homee 'The Sphere' sent me this pic today.  It's from the trailer to THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL a big-budget blockbuster coming soon from Scott Derrickson the director who brought you THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE.

What's cool about it is how eerily similar the two shots are--in concept and (even--dare I say?) execution despite the fact that the one has a budget (by the time you factor in production and marketing) that's probably a thousand times that of my wee film.

($200,000 x 1000 = $200,000,000)

A film called THE STORM--an 'itty bitty', feature-length, first-time microbudget supernatural-thriller I directed in early 2006 that we finished in 2007 and which is currently being sold in L.A.

I'm encouraged 'cause it feels like I'm at least somewhat connected to the zeitgeist, you know?

And surviving as someone who communicates for a living (from the pulpit or for the screen) means having sensibilities that--for whatever miraculous reason--just happen to connect with what the (mass) audience is feeling.

Cool.

T

No comments: