Saturday, August 2, 2008

The late night re-write...


So it's 2:25am ET as I sit to write this.  I've been at my desk for 15 hours--straight.

I'm not going to write much 'cause I've been doing so much writing the last couple weeks my forearms are sore.

Sore from re-writing.

My latest script.  A huge adventure-film.  A script that my rep is going to take out 'wide' within the month.  One of the bigs has already asked for it but he's going to go out to all eight (plus some others) at once.

It's worth noting that I've been working on this one script for nigh on four years now.  Today's re-write was the fourth draft.  I wrote 'fade out', walked out to the rec room to tell the wife, "I'm finished..." I said "For the fourth time..."

She rolled her eyes.

"I just can't believe how LONG this takes..." said she.

And she's right.

'Cause with this script (once it's good and done for real) I'll have my first real 'shot' at Hollywood.  This will be the first time I've gotten 'reads' at the highest level.  This is something I set out to do back in 2002--when I started teaching myself (with the help of many teachers) how to be a screenwriter.

Get read at the highest level.

It's pretty cool.  But a dang long process.

Not so scary, 'cause six years and six feature-length scripts later (plus twelve re-writes) I'm hoping that I'm beginning to 'get' the hang of this.

Otherwise I'm hopelessly insane.

So, to all you hopeless dreamers out there slogging away at pursuing your dream may I just remind you (and me) that it takes years and thousands of hours (many of them obscene) to get where you're going.

And none of it is 'wasted time'.

We don't believe in wasted time, we dreamers.

T

No comments: