Monday, August 25, 2008

The Wife...


I'm a bit obsessed with her y'see?

(and she's going to KILL me for putting this shot of her up for all to see, but seeing as 1) she never reads my blog [an ongoing point of contention] and 2) it is my blog and if your wife controls your life, your mind, your money AND your blog you're doomed; so here I go anyway...)

To say nothing of the fact that to be THAT hot after four kids and not share it with the World is a crime.

But I digress.

We were out on the water Saturday with her Dad and the kids on a pontoon boat that had a water slide.  It was awesome.  Then, on the way back to the marina, she decides to sunbathe a bit and I may look stupid but, as Forest says, "Stupid is as stupid does..." so out comes my camera.

And I'm shooting and shooting and shooting.

Then she realizes what I'm doing.  "Are you taking pictures of me?"  She asks.  "Yes Ma'am.  Yes I am."  And I kept shooting.

Then it hit me that that's what I need to blog about this week.

Being obsessed with your wife.

This works on a couple levels.

1) The 'I used to be a Pastor' level...

So, the level 1 applicability of being obsessed with my hot wife is that you should be obsessed with your wife.  The more you fixate on her, chase her, take risque photos of her, the better off she'll be, the better off you'll be, the better off your marriage will be.  Many men forget the simple truth that it's better to lust after your own wife than after another woman.  So, do what it takes to keep your wife feeling good about herself (which will translate into her looking the part to whatever degree is possible for her...) and fixate on her.

2) The 'I'm a filmmaker and TV producer' level...

So, the level 2 applicability of being obsessed with my wife is that men's drive re: women is unquenchable which means that you need to recognize and write that urge into your work.  We love women, and 'aint never going to stop.  The key, from my perspective, is to write said obsession into our work in a redemptive way.  A way that doesn't objectify said women and reduce our men to animals on the hunt.  There's a beauty and a glory built into the male female relational dynamic and stories that touch on said glory tend to connect on a universal level and that's a good thing in terms of your work so here's my vote for a re-discovery of 'authentic love' in the pop-arts.

3) The 'I'm turning into a baby-motivational speaker so you better make this applicable to more than just pastors and producers' level...

So, the level 3 applicability of being obsessed with my wife is the fact that it reminded me that obsession with what you 'do' is a pretty good sign that you're doing what you've been made to do.  Following that rabbit trail down a bit that means that, if you find yourself daydreaming at work, fantasizing about 'another woman' (meaning another job) you should take steps to leave your job and find your passion.  If, conversely, your day flies by and you never have enough time to do everything you want and you love having that problem and can't wait to get back at it tomorrow, you're probably in your 'career sweet spot'.

So, love your wife, tell love stories, and love your work.

"And that's all I have to say about that..."

T

No comments: