Monday, November 23, 2009

300...



That's my Grandma in there.

Well, not my Grandma, but her body.  See the note stuck in the middle?  That's from one of her 25 great-grandkids.  "We love you Grandma! Can't wait to see you again..."

That kind of note.

A note full of hope.

Like her funeral.  Like her life.

Hope.

I'm wondering if there's hope in your life these days?  How are things going? Are you sensing stagnation or momentum in your life and work?

It's funny, for me, things have been a bit of a grind the last three months.  Part of that has had to do with getting ready to launch, and actually launching THE WELL our second 'from-scratch' church plant. Part of it is connected to coming to the end of our producing year which always means a 'gee, so what do you think is next for us..." moment or two.

(the joys of independent production)

Part of it has to do with a wife who is getting more and more invested in her career which is a great thing and is changing the rhythms of life for us a bit and that--as it always does--takes some adjusting.

But I thought I'd mention that I do feel a sense of momentum.  This past Sunday at THE WELL I could just 'feel' it.  It's not that there was any tangible thing that happened to put my sense of things into that 'positive' zone--well, we did have six new people, which was cool and (at the same time) illustrates how tiny we are at the moment where six are noticed and cheered--it's just that things 'felt' different to me.

Momentum.

You can feel it, and the lack of it.

Thing is, I don't know of any foolproof way to generate momentum.  I mean, sure, I know how to work and keep working.  I know how to 'make myself available' but I also know that I'm absolutely unable to conjure it (momentum) out of thin air.

So I've found that the trick is simply to survive long enough for it to find you.

We're eleven weeks into THE WELL.  I'm ten years into my media career.  I'm thirteen years into my marriage, ten years into being a Dad.  I've followed Jesus for twenty four years, have lived for thirty five.

Momentum.

I'm feeling a little bit of it.

I had dinner with the very high-powered President of a major corporation a couple months back.  He's mid-forties.  We got talking about my life and career.  He said, "You're 35?  Then you're right on-track.  Just watch, the next ten years of your life are where your revenue-generating capability will catch up with all the work you've done the past fifteen years."

Here's hoping.

I mean, he should know, but you never know.

All the above to say this.

I think I'll just keep trekking.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Waiting for momentum and living my life well (like Grandma did) in the meantime.

You too?

T

No comments: