Thursday, December 10, 2009

Better than Daddy...


That's my eldest, doing one of his favorite things, reading.

He finished the book of Genesis (in an actual 'adult' Bible) yesterday and has moved on to Exodus today.

Waaayy ahead of where I was at his age.  I didn't really start devouring scripture 'till my early teens.  I told him, if he keeps this up, his 'Cantelon/Kerr preacher instincts' are going to kick in real early.

He smiled at that.

"Really Daddy?  Is that what our family is known for?"

Yeah, that's kinda' the main thing we do.

Last night, after work, while dinner was simmering I came up from my office and sat down on the couch to do my scripture reading.  It wasn't more than a couple seconds before Jordan materialized at my side, put his arm around my neck and started reading his Bible.  Two seconds later Sammie (the youngest son) shows up, perches himself on my lap (the left side, his favorite) and lays his head on my head while I read.

That's what they call 'modeling' or 'patterning' or 'how to ensure the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.'

And, it's worth noting, none of it is 'intentional'.  Kids just do what they see.

What are your kids seeing you do?

T


ps: this is my stone cold fox of a wife. She was there the same day I took the above shot of Jordan.  Figured I'd do the blog a favor and post some beauty...

No comments: