Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fuel...



Saw IT last night.

Very cool.  If you like Denzel, if you like apocalyptically-themed stories, if you like stylized visual composition, if you like Gary Oldman, if you like Mila Kunis, if you like westerns, you'll like 'The Book of Eli'.

I don't want to ruin it for you but I will say that the lingering impression I have from it is that, in Hollywood, it really comes down to what the power brokers want to do.  When you see it you'll likely agree with me that this movie got made ONLY because Denzel probably called Joel Silver or Joel Silver called Denzel and--because they were feeling a little rebellious, and because the must've liked the story--they decided to do it and damn what Hollywood proper thinks about it.

It's all about who you know.  It's all about getting to know the power brokers or becoming one yourself.

Challenging and inspiring all at the same time.

Wifey and I took our game to the next level today in terms of trying to get some more 'power' in our lifestyle.  We were up at six, coffee in the living room by 6:45am where I read all of Philippians (hilarious--blogger's spell check thinks I've misspelled that--they obviously haven't read it...) as part of my ongoing preparation for my next sermon series at THE WELL then some of my Buffet book then cleared my inbox, checked my daily sites and here I am blogging.

Up to cook breakfast in a minute.

'The Book of Eli' is the kind of movie I'm in the business of trying to make.  T'was really cool to see it done, and done well.

In other news--got 'hated on' yesterday for this here blog and loved on twice for it--all in the same day.

Funny that.

I'm starting (and 'just' starting mind you...) to get to the point where I need to be careful not to read my press or my praise.  I'm a sensitive dude and it gets to me.  Praise inflates my already large head and hater-ation causes me chest pain.  Either way I over think it and it gets in the way of me doing what I do.

My desire is to keep my head down and keep focused.

That's the lesson this morning from my Buffet book.  There was a quote in today's reading referencing a dinner with Buffet and Gates at it and, when asked what the secret to their success had been (back in 1991) each replied simultaneously 'Focus'.

Focus.

Here's to it for my day today.

And maybe yours...

T

1 comment:

Graeme Donaldson said...

What Buffet book?

Also, three cheers for value investing.