Tuesday, January 5, 2010

on the war path...


Need to get producing again.

The Christmas/New Years lull is hard on me.  Every year it's the same thing.  We hustle our tails off trying to close deals before the end of the year.  By December 20th every producing entity we know basically shuts down 'till this week (the first full one of the new year), and this week is typically swamped with emails and phone messages that have piled up between Dec 20th and now.

So nothing much gets done.

You're looking at three weeks that vanish--POOF--just like that.

Frustrating, especially in media because anything in media takes FOREVER to get done. I was updating my mother in law on the progress with my career the other day (every once in a while it's good to try to assure her that we're not facing bankruptcy THIS month, yet...) and she marveled at how long it takes to get anything done in my line of work.

I told her that a big part of it is that we're dealing with high stakes in show business.  The deals we have pending right now (talk TV, dramatic TV, film, graphic novels, feature doc), if they all locked, would absolutely revolutionize my life.

Absolutely.

My biz-partner and I were reflecting the other day that our sense of 2010 is that it'll either be an uphill slog of a year where we fight and claw for every yard gained, or it might end up being one of those weird years where things go ballistic and you just hang on for dear life.

So far, the momentum is feeling like it's leading to the second option, with an explosive year of sorts brewing.

I feel ready.  T'will be interesting to see how it shakes down...

It's like an itch, the urge to produce.  You feel like you want to get busy with the 'doing' part of the job, but I've learned by now, that the gestating is as much a part of the doing as the doing itself.

Maybe you could benefit from being reminded of that.  

"Preparation is as much a part of success as procrastination..."

'Productive procrastination' mind you.  

The kind of 'wasted time' where you think 'till your head hurts, dream 'till your minds-eye gets sore.  Hope 'till it turns you to praying.

That kind of 'wasted time' 'aint wasted friend.

So, I'm here to remind myself and you, that if you feel like you're on 'the cusp' of something, keep thinking and dreaming and hoping and praying until...

Things start exploding.

I'll keep you posted on the fireworks on my end...

BOOM!

T

No comments: