Monday, January 18, 2010

of apples and agony...


Our communion table at THE WELL was covered in apples this week.

Ninety of 'em.

They were an illustration intended to help our people take 'communion' home with them.  The idea was each person takes an apple and keeps it on them this week until that first moment when they feel the darkness trying to encroach on their joy.

(I was preaching from Genesis 3--the 'snake' and 'fall' narrative) 

I suggested to them that at that moment (when evil encroaches) they pull the apple out, bite it and tell the snake to 'bite it'--if you know what I mean.

It worked.  As soon as people arrived at church they started asking what was up with the apples. They took 'em home.  I hope they're 'using' 'em this week.

A simple thing.  Apples.

What simple things can you be using to help your work have more resonance?

It's a question I never stop asking myself.

In other news, the pitch I was working on for L.A last week went really well.  I have follow up work scheduled this week.  Good news is, they didn't think we suck and the 'mock trailer' I directed for the thing (props to my man 'Izz the Alien' who edited it...) really blew their minds.

L.A minds.

So, here's hoping we can leverage this interest into further interest.

It's been many months gestating this thing and still no money has changed hands, everyone's still working on it for free, but we're inching closer to a 'deal'.  Once we do, the work will really begin.

But we should be so lucky.

Oh yeah, what's the 'agony' reference about?

I preached my butt off this past Sunday.  I think it went quite well.  I got home and got a call from my pastoral associate that the recording had gotten corrupted and we'd lost it all.  I was so upset I literally felt sick to my stomach for a good hour.

It's agonizing sometimes, how you can do your 'best work' and have it lost like that.

"POOF!"

So, I got him to bring me our recorder and re-preached it in my office.  Sure, the re-preach was nowhere near as good as it was with a 'live' audience, but I wanted the content up there--didn't want it to get lost--didn't want the agony to get the best of me.

How can I make this 'stick'?  

Apples.

How can I fix this mess?

A re-record.

Thinking, thinking, always thinking.

And hoping and praying and working and trying and believing.

Just like you...

T

No comments: