Friday, September 10, 2010

Overawed...

I've been a little less-than faithful to this here blog lately.

Yes, me...

The smiley dude on set.


Shooting season two of UNSCRIPTED in Los Angeles CA.

(that's why I've been writing less...)

I gotta' say a few things.

1) It's a great privilege to be able to do it. Many people work very hard to help make it happen and if you're one of them I thank you very sincerely.

2) It's a pretty tough thing to do.  We typically shoot 10 interviews a day, yes ten, and that's about as exhausting as it gets in this biz.  You're thinking, "What, sit on a stool all day and just talk to people? Easy work."  Not so much. The concentration required to give someone everything you've got, all your empathy, all your interest, while conversing with them in a way that 'fits' the show structure, while staying 'out of the way' so your editing team doesn't kill you, while helping the guest feel like we're just 'talking' while doing your darndest to wring something redemptive and (hopefully) life changing out of each interview?  Not easy work.

3) I remain, all these 36 years later, shy of and a bit overawed by the rich and famous. I still don't feel like I 'belong' there. My biz-partner tells me this is a good thing, tells me that if I ever start feeling like I 'deserve' this, that's when I need to really start getting worried.

4) Yes, I'm further along than I was, say seven years ago, filming six episodes a night of a show I wrote, produced, assistant edited, hosted, craft-serviced, and associated guested all in a windowless studio suite in mid-winter Winnipeg (don't ask...) but I still don't feel like I'm where I 'want' (or feel compelled) to be.

Which is why I keep working.

I remember reading that if the 'thing' you're trying to do doesn't overawe or outright scare you, you're not doing the 'right' thing.

Well, I'm good and scared people.

T

No comments: