Thursday, September 16, 2010

One more time...


So we're 'house fluffing'--and *yes* I know that reference might be a bit risque but if you 'get' the reference you're risque enough to deal with it.

This means lots and lots of painting.  Six gallons worth.  I realize there are only four in the shot, but I was just getting started when I took it.

Six gallons.

That's a lot of paint.

And as a result of this fluffing, and the season it means the wife and I are in, you're likely to get quite a few renovation-oriented pithy-truisms thrown at you in the coming weeks on this here blog as a result.

The truism from last night...

Every freakin' time I come back to painting, after swearing I'll never paint again, I start out thinking, "THIS time I'm only going to do ONE coat. One real good coat, but JUST one coat..." Then I let it cure, look at it, sigh and...

Do another coat.

That's the difference (I think and hope) between the 'chosen' and the 'passed over', between the 'elite' and the 'also ran', between the 'doers' and the 'dreamers'.

Do it right, every time, even though you're sick and tired and depressed and stressed and stretched and the LAST thing you want to do is expend any more effort than you have to.

As I stood there looking at the first coat I thought of all the times I walk into houses and can see that the numb-nuts, who calls himself a 'man', who lives there only did one coat and I shake my head, put my shoulders back and resolve not to be a numb-nuts.

That's why I always do the second coat.

Even though (left to my own devices) I don't *want* to.

Happy painting kids.

T

ps: THIS is what I was thinking a year ago today... (just scroll down to Sept 16)

1 comment:

Coldplay: Steve Noble's hockey hotbed said...

What's really intriguing is the post below where you mention The Storm is set to drop around Hallowe'en 2010. Is that still a possibility or has that goal been pushed back?