Monday, July 11, 2011

The MARRYING game...

The #1 issue I deal with as a Pastor is people's marriages.

Most of the time they're breaking down.

Funny, most mainstream songs are about love, or love breaking down. Most great film stories have, at their heart, the quest for the kind of 'fairytale love' we all grew up believing in.

Or maybe not.

(maybe you stopped believing in it a while ago...)

People aren't marrying as much anymore. The stats on this are clear. And those who do are divorcing more than they stay together.

'Marriage is obsolete...'

(Some would say)

I dunno'. Seems to me there's no decision more important in your ENTIRE life than choosing the person you'll marry.

Even the divorced people I know, it's not like they're not 'connected' to their original spouse anymore, they're just painfully connected to them.

As my kids age, my wife and I are getting more and more focused on helping them navigate this next hurdle.

The marrying game.

Thinking back on it, besides teaching us theology and his particular interpretive lens, my Dad spent most of his time with us talking to us about who to marry and how to marry.

I'll be preaching on it this week at THE WELL.

The Marrying Game...

T

1 comment:

Coldplay: Steve Noble's hockey hotbed said...

Yo chooch, I e-mailed you a recent Wall Street Journal article on marriage in its current context that might be on interest to you. Not sure if the addy I have is up to date, but let me know if you didn't get it. Looking forward to hearing the message on Mp3.

Lata.