Monday, February 6, 2012

Familiar activity...


Sunday.


My friend Chris Jones on the left getting ready to rehearse, yours truly on the far right, waiting to get behind the drums.

First time he and I did this was more than ten years ago. Funny thing about time, on the one hand it feels like no time has passed, so the 'familiar activity' you're doing comes real natural. I was able to 'feel' where he was going during the service and follow along like no time had passed at all. At the same time, with time, the simple truth is *a lot* of time has passed between then and now, there's no denying it.

We're older, more experienced. Prone to fatigue.

I think (more and more I'm realizing) that the trick is to keep doing those familiar activities ('cause they're the *stuff* your life is made of) while holding onto as much passion and positivity as possible in the doing.

I find it very easy (these days) to become disillusioned and tired. I find my 'edge' can be quickly blunted.

So the task at hand is to push through and find some kind of inspiration that will help me sharpen up, despite the fact that the thing(s) I'm doing are *very* familiar, and could easily become something I'm bored with or contemptuous of. I wonder if that pushing is the difference between those who keep 'producing' good work over the long term and those who just, peter out.

Yes, it turned out well. Worship was strong. People were moved.

'Familiar activity' (aka: work) got done.

We produced something.

T

No comments: