Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cherish it...


Today was a good day.

Funny, I'm kind of at a spot in my life and career where I can't talk about details in the same way I used to. Added responsibility, more stakeholders, a bunch of factors contribute to that, but one thing hasn't changed; I have days where I want to say something.

Today I want to say two things.

One. I'm thankful. 

After the kind of year we've had it's very nice to see a positive turn of events that serves as an affirmation of decisions we made--that we felt were right at the time--kind of a shot in the arm to encourage us to keep going, that we're on the right track.

That said, I know--firsthand--that things don't always turn out right and, just because they turned out wrong doesn't mean you're ultimately 'wrong' in how you're living or what you're putting your hand to and--more significantly--that God is still God even when you don't get healed or get that promotion or that positive answer to a dilemma you've been facing.

I find that part of faith very difficult to deal with.

So, having come to a place where I'm somewhat 'at peace' with trusting God to be and do who He is and what He does, in and of Himself (only took me 40 years), I'm all the more grateful for a turn of events that fits in with some of the hopes and dreams I have for my family and I.

Simply put. I've had a lot of 'down' days so an 'up' day is all the more sweet.

Two. Nothing *really* important has changed.

My sweet son off the top? That's YEARS ago. Sure he's bigger now, but in his heart--who he is (as evidenced by how hard he's working on his sand creation) hasn't changed at all, and how I feel about him--as his Dad, and someone who's SO very grateful to be a father--well, that hasn't changed either.

That helps me with perspective. 

See, when things are bad or things are good or things are somewhere in between, there are certain things in your life; like your relationship with God, your spouse and your kids (if applicable) that never change, or at least which you shouldn't *allow* to change.

It's the things that are really important, the things that really matter.

In any given day I face a dozen moments of real challenge, of disappointment, of hurt, worry, stress or concern. In those moments I'm learning to remember that the tide does turn (for better and for worse then for better then for worse and so on...) all throughout your life and that, so long as you keep your head screwed on right and keep doing the *right* thing moment to moment, nothing really important ever really changes.

And that's something to cherish.

To better days!

T



No comments: