Thursday, April 10, 2014

Celebrating...


I've been getting some questions about my 40th, how it went, how I feel, did we do anything special? Well, my sweet mother-in-law and my wife conspired to take us away for a week so I got to sail on the Caribbean Sea for the first time.

Can't believe it took me 40 years to get there. I've been busy trying to survive, I guess, but I feel like I shouldn't have waited quite as long as I did.

That's me and my eldest boy hitting the water on the very old and busted hobie cat the resort had. There's a life lesson there. See, we had a great time. Doesn't matter how old the equipment is, if you put your heart into it, and the conditions are right, you'll have a great time.

Kind of like me (and the rest of you who're in and around my age range).

We've got some miles on the chasis by this point, but--properly loved and applied--we're capable of getting out there and doing what's needed. In fact, some would say, the years of experience help us do things others might not be able to do quite as well.

This was in evidence on the above day as I was the only 'guest' the staff let out on the water because the conditions were getting 'dangerous' for the average run of the mill western tourist with little to no sailing experience. Not me. I was able to convince them that I'd spent enough time on the water that they could trust me to get out there and not make a fool of myself or their equipment.

So, out we went, and we tore it up. Great sail. Nothing like bashing upwind, into the swell, getting soaked by eighty degree saltwater while the sun beats down on your neck and the boat surges like your heart.

A lovely birthday present all told.

Thanks Julie. Thanks Niki. Thanks Kids. This forty-year-old Daddy loves you.

T

No comments: