Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Grip it and rip it...


I love that shot.

We were on the beach and my wife had asked me to bring the camera, something I was reluctant to do because; 1) she's always asking me to bring the camera and it kind of bugs me (for no good reason) and so I want to rebel 'cause I'm a sinful wretch and 2) because the waves and wind were so huge I was sure something bad was going to happen to it, and it's a very good camera.

But, I'd repressed my selfish and fearful urges, and brought it with me.

POINT #1: Do the right thing even when you don't want to.

POINT #2: Always have your 'tools' with you (like a camera).

Man, was I glad I did. Once my kids started racing into the waves and getting worked over by 'em, washing up ten yards inshore coughing and spluttering and laughing their guts out, I raced over to where I had stashed the camera (in a hat, under a shirt to keep it safe) and--caution be danged--hopped to it, running down into the surf.

POINT #3: You never know when 'the moment' will strike, so keep your eyes open and be ready.

Now, here's the thing about shooting. I've learned (and I'm certainly not the *best* director among my friends, but I've learned a few things from watching them, and from doing a little myself) that, if you shoot from an unusual angle (ie: put the camera somewhere 'non-traditional'), you're more likely to capture an image that is outside of the ordinary.

Most people would keep the camera in their hands, at their eye, and shoot. To capture the above shot I put the camera on the right setting, dropped it as close to the rushing surf as possible, then shot as many exposures as possible before leaping away (hoisting the camera into the air) when the surf caught up to where I was.

POINT #4: Unusual is usually better.

The 'net' effect is the image at the top of the post where my kids are caught right in the middle of the action...

POINT #5: 'Spontaneous' is better than 'Staged'.

And, because I'm shooting from such a low angle, the waves look absolutely MASSIVE, which captures the essence of the moment much better than shooting them at eye level would've.

POINT #6: The 'image' should tell the story.

Pretty fun. 

Glad I listened to my wife.

T

No comments: