Monday, February 1, 2016

Everything is connected...

Epic.

In the cistern (a hundred feet from the Royal Davidic Palace) where Jeremiah was probably thrown in Jer 38:6.

Apparently there was no water, only mud. Well, all these years later, there was no water, only mud; and every step you took five or six spiders scurried out from under your feet.

Crazy.

And it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gone alone with something I didn't want to do, at the time.

See, the connections we made to get our current (gigantic) documentary series off the ground, exploring 13 significant archaeological 'proofs' of the Bible, happened because I went along (kicking and screaming) with a plan my business partner had that, at the time, I was--shall we say--less than thrilled about.

We often argue, he and I, about what we should do, how we should do it, how we should set it up financially, and what that's going to mean for us, our firm, and our key staff, collaborators and partners. From what I've read (and heard) about successful creative partnership, there is often that kind of push/pull between primarily creative and primarily fiscally minded people.

Anyway, we found a way to agree, and lemme' say that the thing we did was taxing in exactly the ways I thought it would be taxing when I first objected, and it was really tough to do, almost soul-killing, in fact; and it made me bitter, AND...turned out great and made a big impact, all at the same time.

Also, it led to this project.

And that's the point that reverberates with me, in a sobering way. If I hadn't gone along with what my partner wanted, if I hadn't dug really deep to do something (well) that I didn't really want to do and for which I had no real tangible incentive at the time, our path probably wouldn't have led us to where we are today.

Scary, right?

So, I'm trying to be continuously mindful (especially when I'm feeling grumpy or 'put upon') of the fact that everything is connected. Every meeting, appointment, email, phone call, conversation, action, reaction; they're all working together to build a story.

A story in which you are a character and change agent. A story that might end up having you descend 60 feet into first temple era muck that used to be home to a real-live Biblical Prophet.

"I'm not worthy..." doesn't do it justice.

T

No comments: