Thursday, February 25, 2016

Wherever, whenever...


Sometimes, we write movies on airplanes.

I was headed to Nashville to speak at a big media conference, while juggling writing deadlines on our TV series' and a big documentary series (and feature) we're producing this year.

So I wrote on the plane.

I enjoy 'plane writing' because it's 100% isolated time. Nobody bugs you, nobody's calling on the phone or texting or emailing, it's just you, your ideas, and the smell of humanity.

(inside joke)

Ok, I'll explain it; mind you, you probably already figured it out, right? That smell that slowly creeps onto a plane as the minutes stretch into hours and the air keeps getting recycled and the people keep getting more and more 'moist'?

That smell.

Anyway, you ignore the smell as best you can and let the ideas flow. I think maybe the white noise of the plane helps you 'fly away' into the land of ideas but, for whatever reason, I find writing on the plane super-productive.

The reminder to me (and maybe to you) is this; wherever you find yourself, DO what it is you have to do, to the best of your ability, moment by moment, day by day, at all times.

I was reminded today (by a John Maxwell tweet) that success comes with just keeping at it. I know he's not the originator of that thought but, regardless of who thought it or said it first, it's a keeper.

Keeping doing your thing, even at 30,000 feet surrounded by the smell of human.

:)

T

No comments: