Monday, June 14, 2010

Time well spent...

One of my favorite shots from last weekend.

We were at our friend's cottage, it was the end of the day Friday, and their oldest son was shutting the ski boat down. I was several hundred feet away with a telephoto nearby and I took this.

Thanks S&J for having us up.  I'll get you a nice version of this one for your wall.

Some thoughts from the weekend.

-It's a real 'gift' to have friends you've been 'friends' with for nigh on 15 years. I kept thinking about how long I'd known 'these people' while hanging with 'em over the weekend. I felt very blessed.  CS Lewis said, in a letter to one of his students, that if he had it (life) to do 'over again' he would do whatever it took to live near his friends.  We're doing our best to hold to that.

-My wife is liking the 'cottage life'. She'd always thought she'd get 'bored' just chillin' by the lake but she LOVED it. So much so, that we were snooping around some of the properties that are 'for sale' on our friend's point and scheming and dreaming.  I'm afraid to say it in this kind of public forum, and kind of excited too, but I think I'll keep my wife's newfound 'love' in my mind as I hustle this year hoping to see if I can 'do' something about her desire.

(this is also modifying my dreams of 'bigger and better' when it comes to boats etc. but I'm happy to do it for her...)

-I'm not 26 anymore.  I enjoyed chillin' and watching.  Didn't feel the 'urge' to wakeboard or tube or do anything nuts. I was still a little sore from trying it the weekend before (for 'guys weekend' at the same spot) and, besides, my kids (fast on the THEIR way to 26 it seems...) had a blast doing all the things kids should do at a cottage.

-My life 'is' progressing despite the fact that I sometimes feel stuck. To be there and to have done the things we did and to have given our kids the opportunities they were given was the stuff (at least in my post-missionary's kid mind) 'rich kids' do and I felt deeply grateful to be able to 'provide' them with that 'moment'.  And again, grateful to our generous friends.

-I'm an inveterate sailor. I kept thinking about Hobie Cats and Lasers and Megabytes and how I'd set things up and where I'd anchor them and the kind of 'crash boat' I'd get. I figure, the kids can go see our friends when it's time for sports of the motorized kind.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

-I realized that life (DV) should progress nicely from this point. I'm realizing what's important to me, to my wife and to our kids. I'm 'figuring out' how to work towards seeing it (again DV) happen, bit by bit.

-I felt energized by being there. I felt my 'dreams' re-charged. I felt inspired to work hard. I actually set some tangible 'mental goals' for the next four years.

So, once again, proof positive that--if you get the chance--you should try to 'get away' even if it's only for 48hours.

Oh yeah, I also TOTALLY unplugged (iPhone, laptop, internet, FB, Twitter) and it was REALLY nice.  Gonna' do that again...

Soon.

T


No comments: