Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Unplugging...

Great shot, right?

Funny thing about the site from which I get many of the shots I use here and in other parts of my life as a communicator is that it's incurably oversexed.

Yes, I just said 'oversexed'.

See, no matter what word you type in (if you're a registered user) you get some kind of 'naked' mixed in with the other, useful, shots.

It's so pervasive that it's laughable.  It's gotten to the point now where I kind of brace myself and smile just before hitting 'enter'.

"What kind of naked are they going to be able to get out of 'Poached Eggs'?"

No kidding.

Anyway, back to the point at hand.

Some of the my connections on twitter and facebook were making me sad. Many of them are from the last ten years of my life and said ten years have been fraught with all manner of conflict, drama, tension, stress, and unhappiness.  Sure, there's been some happiness and triumph and, certainly, some learning and maturing along the way but, truth is, many of the people whose status updates or tweets were arriving in front of me were people who had become a source of sorrow and pain.

So I took the somewhat precipitous step of 'un-following' them. It's not that I'm trying to be nasty (many won't notice anyway) just that I thought I'd experiment and see if the root of some of the sadness I've been dealing with in the past year and a half or so had anything to do with comparisons I was continuing to draw to those people and to the way of life that we'd had in common in the past.

Anyway, here we are a week and a half into my 'un-following' purge and I'm feeling better. Not only have I eliminated their communication from coming to me, I've stopped going 'to' them. I'm not checking their blogs, not reading their site, not listening to their stuff.

And I'm feeling better.

Thought I'd share that with you, suggest you try the same if you've been dealing with some of the same.

And, a 'show-biz' update is coming your way soon--we've got a storm brewing...

T

1 comment:

Coldplay: Steve Noble's hockey hotbed said...

There is something to be said for the philosophical stand in this entry.

I was interviewing a highly successful man recently for some writing I was doing. He's the president of a $200,000,000 organization. No IBM but they are cutting edge in Canada, in their field.
He'd recently been awarded an award for exellence in his field. Over the past few years he's actually been recognized similarly by organizations all over the world.

Ineveitably we got to to talking about his vision of leadership and the secret of his success. For him, the bottom line, personally, professionally, came back to the people he surrounded himself with.

It's a signature of successful leaders. They surround themselves with positive, goal-driven, people who are also successful. That may be simplifying it all a bit, but in any case, I agree with your move.

My Nan always said, you attract more bees with honey than vinegar and I think there's an applicable metaphor in there somehwere.