Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Perfection...

Is costly.

Now, I realize that my wife (pictured above) isn't, technically speaking, 'perfect' (sorry honey...) but she's CLOSE, and for *me* she is.

I realize the sunset wasn't quite 'perfect' but it was close enough for *us*.

Yup, my boat's not perfect, she'd have to be 13 feet longer and two feet beamier to be the C&C I'd really like, but even a C&C37+ isn't a 'perfect' boat and considering the fact that we didn't *have* a proper keelboat last season and have been wishing/dreaming/working towards getting one for seven years straight, I'd say our little 24-footer is close enough.

Close enough.

There's a wide gap between 'perfect' and 'close enough'.

And here's the thing I've been thinking about lately; the *thing* you should be 'doing' with your life is that thing that you are the most perfectionistic about.

What's the thing that you always do everything you can with to make sure it's a close to 'perfect' as possible?  Yes, we 'know' it'll never actually be perfect, but if you're trying for 'perfect' then your 'close enough' should be miles ahead of those who don't set the bar that high to begin with.

What's your 'perfect'?  Are you working on it, day in and day out?  If not, you might (and I do mean 'might', I don't know the details of your life after all...) be wasting your time and, possibly, your life.

Lately I've been ruthlessly honing in on what it is in my life and work that I'm willing to shoot for 'perfect' on.

I'm slowly working my way towards being able to do that, and mostly that.

(notice: not 'only' I don't think any of us ever actually get to THAT level--even the best of us...)

Tryin' to get 'there' before the sun sets on my dreams...

T

No comments: