Wednesday, November 3, 2010

doin' work...


Getting busier over here.

The last two weeks have fair flown by.  Friday/Monday past I was helping a friend of mine with one of his core clients. We used our studio for the shoot. T'was fun to see the space being used. 

(for clarity we don't *own* the studio but have an ongoing relationship set up with the owners that allows us to use it for the work we do...)

Yesterday I had a major meeting with one of Canada's most powerful TV executives.  I was really looking forward to sitting down with him; it's not everyday you get to meet a guy whose work has influenced your work.

Fun times.

The meeting went well, we connected, he was pleased with the work we're doing for him and my sense of things is that we might have some more work to do for him in the near future.

Meanwhile, over at THE WELL, we've finally seemed to get some 'post summer momentum' back.  Our last two weeks have seen us back up to pre-summer numbers and that's a real mercy. For a while there (like since May) we were wondering if I'd killed the church or something.

Anyhow, it 'feels' like this momentum might stay with us through Christmas.

I also started workshopping a couple new feature film concepts with a very talented writer-friend of mine.  The upside of this one is that my Executive Producer already has an 'output deal' in place for the films we'll create from these scripts.  The downside is the budget attached to this output deal is comically small.  We're going to find a way to do it, just for the sake of doing it--to keep practicing and getting better and putting work 'out there'.

I'm a guest tonight on a local late-night phone in talk show (like the one I hosted when I got my start in TV) and it looks like I'm going to guest-host it on Friday the 12th of November, which should be fun.

The idea that's been really sticking with me the past few weeks (and I've been hit with it before) is the whole notion that 'doing work' is simple, humble, faithfulness-requiring stuff.

Like laying bricks.

So whether it's been teaching a 'Christianity: 101' class with all my heart to a very small room, or preparing my sermon like it really matters, or carrying a tripod like a PA, or supervising a story meeting or pitching a mogul in my best "My don't you look like a cutting-edge writer/producer" outfit...

I'm just faithfully trying to (as my super-successful friend puts it) do an 'honest day's work' each and every day.

Layin' bricks.

T

No comments: