Tuesday, February 9, 2010

pivot and drive...


(iPhones--as awesome as they are--really do take crappy 'low light' shots)

But, we had a great time bowling with some friends last Friday night.

I also totally stunk the join out. Came dead last first game, second last second game. 

Shameful.

Reason I mention it is 'cause I said something to someone today in a meeting that reminded me of something.

(how's that for 'direct')

Here's what I said:

"I figure, what you gotta' do now is pivot, and drive..."

Like in basketball.

You're running one way, dribbling the ball, trying to evade the defense, trying to find a way to score, and you run out of court or run into someone too big to run through or see an opening you never saw before until you got to that spot on the court.

What do you do?

You pivot (plant your foot, shifting your weight to the ball of it) and drive (running off in a new direction as fast as you can).

I won't go into how that advice was applicable to the someone I met with today but I will tell you how it was applicable for me.

I remembered that I suck at bowling.  That reminded me that there are other things I suck at that can fast become (if I let 'em) things that I get focused on (in my work) instead of staying focused on the things that I'm actually good at.

So, I faced my failure(s) today, decided to stop doing those things I'm not good at and, instead, recommitted to doing the things I'm 'made' to do, with all my might.

Pivot and drive.

Maybe that's what you gotta' do...

T

No comments: