Thursday, February 25, 2010

style...

I used to think I'd like 'church' to look like this...

And, having seen the above space--in the flesh--earlier this week, I can tell you it's really beautiful, calming, almost awe-inspiring...

And no longer for me.

See, the older I get, the more I find myself getting less and less religiously-oriented which means I'm starting to think that (more and more) I'd like 'church' to look like this...
I used to worry about 'de-tuning' the christian experience by confusing it with too much 'vibe' or too many lights or an overstated production design.

These days, due in large part to the increasingly plain-blunt-pull-no-punches approach I'm taking to preaching (straight from the text, all about Jesus, period) I'm thinking maybe I could use a little more 'snazz' in my production design.

See, the message is so plain, blunt, and clear that I think anything we can do to 'set' our space in such a way that it 'feels' with-it, non-religious, and comfortable (in the "I'm used to this..." sense) the better off we'll be.

I think.

Another 'clarifying moment' as a result of my trip to Texas.

Maybe it's time to unashamedly/unabashedly mix some of my production know-how and experience into my ethic at 'church'.

Hit us up at THE WELL in the coming weeks/months to see if I can find the personal and corporate horsepower (read: work ethic, leadership ability and 'cash money') to do something with all this.

T

No comments: