Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good to Great...


Is rocking my World.

Seriously.

Now, I realize that many of you will have already read this book, but with *only* two million sold I also realize that there are some of us out there who are coming to the G2G dance a little late.

You should get dancing.

The book is seriously life-changing.  I'm not quite finished it yet but am going to read it again as soon as I do.

Yesterday included the chapter on 'The Hedgehog Concept' (you'll have to read it) and here's my synthesis of it:

1) You need to come to understand that thing that you do (or can do) that you have the potential of being one of the best in the World at.

2) You need to understand how to monetize that thing ie: what is its economic 'engine'?

3) You need to *do* those things, and only those things, that you are deeply passionate about.

That's it.  Three overlapping circles and in the middle of it your *thing*, your 'hedgehog concept' or, as I've always thought of it, your *calling*.

What is your calling?

Lemme' tell you, I've been doing some serious thinking as a result of this book and this concept. On the one hand what I'm finding (as I think about my life and calling) is that I'm not *that* far off-course but I'm certainly off course.  

The hard part (as he discusses in the book) is being ruthlessly honest about what you're gifted and NOT gifted to do and then finding the strength, courage and discipline to say 'no' to those things that you *could* do but are outside of what you are *supposed* to do.

Heavy.

He also says that most of the companies he researched for the book took FOUR years to 'discover' their *calling*.

Four years.

Eerily similar to what I've been going through the past half-decade.

It's not that I didn't know what I was called to do, it's that I got distracted (by any number of factors) along the way.

Time to re-focus.

Thank you Jim Collins.

T

No comments: