Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Of dreams and other things...


Took that Friday night at the Toronto Island Marina while my family slept onboard. I'd snuck out to take a shot of the city then saw this scene on my way back and had to stop for a minute to try and capture it.

'Course, you don't feel the breeze I felt or hear the shrouds 'ting, ting, ting'-ing against the masts in the harbor. You can't smell the freshness of the water or feel the path underneath your bare feet.

But hopefully you get the idea.

It was a night to dream about.

I'd done so for most of my life in fact, dreamed of taking my family to a 'far off' harbor to stay the night onboard our own vessel.  Now you, like me, might be inclined to think, "Well, it's just a small boat and just a small trip..." to which I'd be inclined to say, "You're right, but lemme' tell you, the seas and winds and trip felt mighty big in the doing..."

And that might be the point.

The only 'reason' in a dream is found in the 'doing'.

I'm feeling this way right now with THE WELL and my work in showbiz.  I've 'dreamed' of doing the work I'm now doing for many long years, but now that I'm 'here' I find it easy to fixate on how small things are vs how 'big' I'd dreamed they'd be 'someday'.

My boat is 24 feet, I'd dreamed it at 64.  My church (second one) is averaging 62 people (11 months in) throughout the summer, I dream it at 3,000.  My showbiz career consists of writing treatments and workshopping budgets and pitching ideas and shooting (mostly) TV interviews, I'd dreamed it on-set, shooting INCEPTION.

So am I depressed?

Well, sometimes, yes a little.  But then I remember (and I forget again and then remember and then forget and then remember...) that it's in the 'doing' that a dream has reason.

Am I 'doing' what I'm supposed to be 'doing'?  

If the answer is 'yes' then I think the job at that point is to focus on the joy and simple devotion of 'doing' that thing while allowing your 'desire' for the 'dream' to be bigger (in actuality) than it is, to drive you to simple, faithful, workmanlike obedience.

If I didn't sail on a 24 footer I'd never learn enough to sail a 34 footer or a 47 footer.  If I don't write treatment after treatment and budget after budget and faithfully do my best with every single moment I happen to be in a room with a camera I won't have the tools needed to do it when the lights and sets are brighter and bigger.  If I can't work a (sermon) text like a fat kid works a candy apple when only 60 people are in the room I'm going to be in big trouble when there are 600 staring back at me.

Simple.

Do the straightforward (unglamorous) things you need to do today and, with time, you might find yourself doing those same things on a different scale.

'Might'...

Yeah, I said it.

Which leads to the next question.

If it stayed 24/62 would you stay happy?

That's serious fodder for another session.

T

No comments: