Thursday, August 25, 2011

First-timer...

Breaking in a bunch of new talent this week.

That's yesterday's 'rookie' you're looking at. Ms. Kim, future 'Entertainment Reporter'. She did great.

Watching her walk in, as nervous as can be, reminded me of the first time I did this, reminded me how long ago it was, reminded me what it takes to manage your fears and do your best in the face of intense self-doubt.

On the one hand I'm VERY thankful that, most of the time, I don't feel that way anymore but, on the other, I'm reminded that it's in those very difficult moments that you really grow. Even writing this I'm hearing my inner-voice remind me that every time I go shoot in H'wood I feel so nervous I feel like I'm going to be sick. I can even feel it know, anticipating my next trip.

(deep breaths Todd, deep breaths...)

I remember hearing it said that unless it scares the crap out of you it's probably not really worth doing. Even writing that I wonder how many people, normal everyday people, actually EVER find (or put) themselves in that kind of situation? Seems to me that most of us do everything we can to avoid any kind of situation that will put us into anything near that kind of distress. That said, are we missing out on great riches of experience as a result? I know that, for me, every time I sense a terrifying (and growth-inducing) situation looming it takes all my effort to stay the course and not run for the hills.

Yes, I've done this a long time but I still get nervous, still get scared.

Still get excited.

Yes, excited. Ms. Kim left our studios yesterday absolutely THRILLED by her experience and wondering when she can get back to do it again.

Like a kid.

"When can we go AGAIN Daddy? I want to go AGAIN!"

"Suffer the little children to come unto Me and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of Heaven..."

Ahhh, yes.

Now I remember.

Help me not to forget.

Off to scare myself silly today.

T

No comments: