Monday, August 22, 2011

How Italians say "I love you..."

Those are Niki's Grandfather's nails.

He sent them to me this week.

This means he 'loves' me.

I learned a few things from this.

1) We need to be more frugal. All those cans are USED coffee cans. Why throw it out when you can re-use it as a 'nail holder'? I need to be more frugal.

2) We need to place a higher value on 'things' we spend money on, even if they're insignificant. Like nails. Who keeps leftover nails? Niki's Italian Grandfather does, and so did mine. We need to make sure that our 'planned obsolescence' culture doesn't seep too deep into us.

3) I need to work harder at taking care of the things I have. The organization and time that went into keeping all those nails for all those years is something I find plain humbling. The challenge is to find a way to apply that kind of 'care-taking' to my *actual* life.

4) I need to *do* things that *tell* the people I love that I actually *love* them.

Thanks Nonno. I learned a lot from you (and your nails) this week.

T


No comments: