Friday, January 23, 2009

Eyes open...


I often refer to the idea of living with your eyes (and heart, soul, mind) wide open so that you'll 'catch' those moments in life that are worth noting, storing away, and using--sometime in the future--in one of your sermons or stories.

The parking lot you're looking at is across the street from the hotel I typically stay at when I'm shooting in Vancouver.  I was working late one night and noticed how cool the thing looked all empty and glowing blue in the dark.

I thought it'd be awesome to film a chase in with somebody running for their life.  You could mount the camera outside and film the various levels at once.  We--the audience--would know how close the character was to getting caught 'cause we'd see where her pursuers were even though she couldn't.  Then, when we cut into the space with her, we'd have the delicious double pleasure of fearing for her and with her 'cause we'd be trying to figure out where we (now that we were with her) were in relation to the 'baddies' we'd just seen when our perspective was on the outside.

I took the shot so that I could use it as a reference in the future.

What's interesting about that--taking a shot and storing it away--is the faith that's implied by the act.  My actions (stopping, noticing, thinking, grabbing camera and shooting, storing) demonstrate that I believe (hope) that at some point in the future the shot and the idea behind it are going to prove useful, worthwhile, or fruitful.

In my case--and with this example--that means I actually believe I'll be making a twenty million dollar movie some day that will allow me to see my 'vision' realized through the lives, work, creativity and follow through of a team of technicians, artists, crafts people, executives and--ultimately--viewers.

Crazy right?

Good crazy.

The kind of crazy we all need to be building our lives on if we hope to live a life that's something more than mundane.

What crazy thing are you planning for?

T

No comments: