Sunday, January 4, 2009

I feel a movie coming on...


Bit of a weird/difficult night tonight.

I was supposed to drum for my brother while he led worship at the Church my wife and I planted eight years ago today.  Never mind that I haven't touched a drum set in two years, my brother's back from Israel for a stint, and he asked.

So I said yes.

I arrived outside the Church and prayed silently--real quick--asking for the experience to be a positive one, then I walked in.

Instantly, I felt conflicted.  It's strange to 'belong' somewhere almost completely and yet not belong at all.  The number of hours I spent in that space, the amount of energy and focus expended to create something in that space for the sake of the people who filled it, well, neither can be counted.

It was difficult, walking up.

Then I found out they didn't have my cymbals.

That's right, 'my' cymbals.  Mine because I bought them and left them there, three years ago, after I finished drumming for the last time.  I remember that I almost took them--I had bought them with my own, personal, money after all--but decided at the last second to leave them for the 'next' drummer to sit down in my baby Church and kick it.

So when I found out the cymbals weren't there I started to feel sick.

My brother arrived and asked around a bit, hoping that some of the 'young folk' (University students) might show some moxy and find us some cymbals.  Fifteen minutes later and no cymbals in sight, I hugged my brother and left.

Drove home.  Called my wife.  Felt a bit sad...

(and here's where we turn the corner) 

And decided to take this 'moment' as a lesson, as an opportunity to grow, to trust, to believe.

Believe that God was working things together for good for all those involved.

It's tough sometimes, making that decision.

Anyway, I made it and went about the rest of my night, then a few minutes ago my brother called.  Told me he'd reminded the Church it was their eight year anniversary.  Told me they'd been happy to be reminded of that.  Told me they responded really well to his leading them in worship.  Thanked me for making the 'fruitless' drive.

And I walked downstairs, raised a glass with my wife, and clinked to a Church that's still going, eight years later.

That's a good thing.

And now, for the 'movie' part of this post.

The above shot is the first storyboard from the pre-viz work we did for my first film, 'THE STORM'.  I retired from my Church, three years ago tonight, to take the leap into spending my focus and time doing my work as a communicator in show business.  I retired Jan 2006 and spent Feb/Mar 2006 directing that first wee film.

That storyboard never got shot, but the film still starts with 'tNtFILMS presents...' and where once there was only an idea, today there's a completed film and a contract that's in-process that I can't talk about just yet but should be able to within the month.

Once an idea, today a Church.  Once an idea, now a film.

And I feel another one coming on.

No, not a Church.  A movie.

I've got the 'itch'.  You know, that thing that starts to bug you that you can neither control nor arrest.  That urge to work for two or three years to bring a thing to life that will hopefully connect with and inspire a large group of people.

The urge to make a movie.

I think this will be the year we set the next one up.

I'm looking forward to it.

'Cause even though you sometimes drive downtown to drum for nothing or create a storyboard and a shot list for nothing or spend what feels like a useless season pursuing a dream that doesn't come true...

It's never for nothing.

T


1 comment:

kylamitie said...

8 years and we're still going!
Thanks for the blood sweat and tears you and Nikki gave to us :)