Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sobering...

Couple quick things...

Last week we were in Kentucky, shooting some interviews for a TV special I'm currently producing on the whole 'Creation vs Evolution' debate that'll air November 23rd, 2009 on VisionTV.

On the way home we stopped by the National Air Force Museum just outside of Dayton Ohio.

And we saw 'Bockscar'...


"What's Bockscar?" you're asking.  Well, 'Bockscar' is THE actual B29 bomber that dropped the nuclear bomb on Nagasaki to, effectively, end World War II.

Right there...


Keep in mind, you're not looking at a reproduction, but at the REAL thing.  Take a second and scroll back up to the first picture.

The happy boxcar with angel wing flies (on tracks) from the lovely American city and drops a nuke on Nagasaki.

Everyone's happy.

I tell you, it made my blood run cold.

Now, far be it from me to stand in judgement.  Far be it from me to say whether Truman was right or wrong.  Lemme' just say...

It made my blood run cold.

I didn't know what to think, standing there looking at it.  I actually touched it, just to be a witness.  I reached out and touched the leading edge of the propellor on the outside left wing and...

It made my blood run cold.

I find it deeply sobering the things we humans can do to each other.

It makes me need an answer--a solution.

It makes me need to write, produce and direct (not always all three) stories that try to honestly make sense of it.  I makes me need to preach.

'Cause as I stand there looking at that abomination of a killing machine--all shiny and preserved for my kids to see--I'm thinking about all the graves that machine made.  All the widows and orphans that killing machine created.

And, yes, the Japanese and Germans and Russians and Canadians and British and French and Italians (etc. etc.) all dug their fair share of graves too.

I'm not looking to blame anyone--my grandpa fought in that war, and I 'kill' people with my thoughts every day--but I'm looking to testify.

That beast (the plane and all it stands for) must burn.

IT must perish from the earth.

Peace must come.  Peace must prevail.

Where can I find the 'Life and Peace forever' museum?  'Cause my kids would LOVE that place!

Anyone?  Anyone?

T

1 comment:

Rob Hall said...

Kate here (I'm on Rob's computer).
You NEED to read "The Ash Garden" by Dennis Bock.
K.