Monday, March 22, 2010

growing...




The CHURCH my wife and I planted six months ago is growing.

Rapidly.

Most church-plants don't pass the 100-person mark 'till four years into their existence. We've almost passed it twice.  At our current rate of growth we should pass that milestone in a month or two, well before the 'summer slump' that will--in all likelihood--drive us (and every other church in North America) down by 30% or so.

We had our second biggest day ever yesterday.  Lots of new people and a real sense of energy, or vitality, in the room.

I actually felt sobered by the experience.  Mostly it's because I 'know' (I mean, I realize I have a lot to learn and by no means think I've got this whole 'church planting' thing 'cased' but I have done this before and the signs I'm seeing are ones I recognize from my previous experience) what's coming.  I realize that this thing is going to continue to grow and take up more and more of my time, focus and energy.

That's fine.

Mostly I hope that it's 'worth it' for the people coming.  

I could see it on their faces yesterday. There was a lot of smiling, some crying and lots of laughing.  A couple of the new people shifted forward in their seats a couple minutes into the sermon and stayed there (on the edge of their seats) right through.

That's a good sign.

The same thing happens at a movie.  People unconsciously slide a little forward in their seat when they're really engaged.

You can watch for this in your work too.

"Engagement"

Now, granted, I don't know what it is exactly that you do, but if it involves sentient beings in any way you'll be presented with the opportunity each day to cause the people you work with (your de-facto audience) to either engage with or disengage from the thing that you're doing.

It can be a real challenge.

But you must keep it in the forefront of you mind because 'growth' in your endeavor really depends on whether or not you can help people to become engaged and stay that way over the long term.

One of the reasons people tune into a TV series week after week is the same reason people keep coming back to church week after week.

Because they're engaged.

The first part of the problem is building the momentum (which can be the work of months or years) to get yourself a 'context' (a gig, a TV series, a movie deal, a church, a growing business, the right position at work) in which you can connect with people. The next part of the problem is getting them to come. Then, once they  start coming you have to find a way to 'bring it' week in and week out (or in whatever interval suits your particular endeavor) so that they get hooked on being engaged.

Then, once you've figured that part out (and it requires ongoing finessing--I don't think you every really figure it out 100%) you have to manage the growth that comes with it and the real problem there is not allowing the growth to distract you from what brought the growth (DV) in the first place.

Engagement.

Gotta' keep finding a way to create it...

T

No comments: