Thursday, March 4, 2010

underground...


In Ottawa the other day, while walking with the fam', I saw this.

Thought I'd grab a quick shot.

What amazed me about downtown Ottawa was the amount of work that went into making it what it is.  The shot above was taken with the Rideau canal running along to the right of frame. The canal locks are just up ahead next to the house with the reddish-brown door you see at the end of the tunnel.

Apparently it takes an hour and a half to transit the locks from the Ottawa river below up to the level we were at.  Locks that were built two generations ago that still work as-planned today.

Imagine.

Work that lasts that long.

It's got me a little down actually.  See, I'm examining my life and work in light of the 'permanent' type stuff I saw at parliament.

The obviously nagging question is 'what work of permanent (or even long-term) significance are you actually doing Todd?"

"Are you doing more than just surviving?"

And in trying to be really honest with the answer I'm finding myself lacking.

Granted, it's the 'start of the year doldrums' for me professionally right now.  The hope is that by May we'll be all guns blazing and up and at 'em and etc. making a difference and building a life.

But, in the midst of that I'm going to try to remember the above tunnel and the work it represents and try to stay inspired to be digging some long-lasting tunnels of my own.

You?

T

No comments: