Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hope(ful)...


I have reason to be hopeful.

Do you?

(not hating there, seriously asking/wondering)

Some of my reasons this week:

1) We had a great Easter weekend at that wee church I planted just over six months ago. Nearly 140 people came through the door. Now, I realize, with peers of mine having hosted 4,000/6,000/20,000 that same weekend, that 140 is a drop in the bucket.  But, said churches are 8/9/13 years old.  140 in six months is much faster than the last time I did this. 140 is HUGE on the 'typical' scale for church plant growth.  *Most importantly* 140 is ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY actual people who--I hope--were encouraged by what was going on at THE WELL this past weekend.

2) Hollywood is showing signs of love for the new pitch we've been working on for what feels like forever, but which--in fact--has only been a year and a half (only?). We had a conference call on Friday that got us up to speed on some of the things that have been done to start 'shopping' the concept and--I'm very grateful to hear--our work is being preliminarily well-received. The next two to three months should be interesting.

(on the 'perseverance' side of things--in case you're wondering--I'm writing VERSION SEVEN of the pitch today...)

3) After a very disappointing March 28th session in the pulpit (where I felt like I totally dropped the ball) my Easter sermon was (IMHO) worth the price of admission.  Nice to know I haven't totally 'lost' it.

4) My meeting last week with the Hamilton 'film commission' went REALLY well.  They'd really like us to set up shop in their downtown core and are willing to do some pretty cool things to help us make that decision. I'm excited to be welcomed. Excited to maybe be part of helping an emerging arts scene take fuller shape. Excited to maybe get a cool space next to a cool deli where I can shoot some cool stuff and help others do the same.

5) The 'stern lines' for my new sailboat are being installed this Saturday at our local yacht club, where I was officially accepted into 'membership' on Tuesday.  I feel so chique! (not really)

6) We've got so many 'pastoral counseling' sessions booking up, we can hardly keep up and THAT means the stuff we're talking about on Sundays is starting to take root and *that* is a big part of what it's all about in the first place.  AND a couple has asked if they can start helping us, so we're going to start officially training them. How awesome is that?

7) We've got a second worship leader starting up which means (i) more people are stepping up (ii) my first dude has so much other 'Pastoral' work to do we need someone to step up and help which means (iii) we're growing (but I already told you that).

8) I'm toying (just 'toying' mind you...) with starting a Sunday night service (maybe in time for our one-year anniversary this September).  Just toying, mind you.

Anyway, thought I'd share.  Hoping my 'thinking thankfully out loud' might encourage you to do some out-loud thankful thinking for yourself.

To help you find hope in your week...

T

No comments: