Thursday, February 24, 2011

Just for me...

"Hey! What are you crazy people doing in my backyard?" he asks, coming out his back door.

Missing you.

See, he was just her husband, just their dad, just our brother.

Just wonderful.

I have been struck, again and again throughout this process, with how much sorrow is yet to come. Because, see, we'll still be in backyards together and it will still be Easter.

But uncle Robbie won't be setting the eggs out.

We'll have to step up, but we won't do it as well or as intuitively or as imaginatively as he did.

Even if she doesn't keep that house I'll still be there when we close it up and I'll still stand there on those steps and ache.

And if she does keep it, well, I'll be there all the time.

Missing a friend of mine. One of my dearest, oldest, closest most beloved friends.

My 'other' brother.

I feel like I've been shot through the heart.


T

No comments: