Monday, February 23, 2009

Disaster averted...

For now.

Man, oh man, this thing I do for a living sure is a wild ride.  I keep reminding myself--mantra like--that there's no such thing as 'secure' out there.  My neighbors and their 'my entire family works at Ford...' lifestyle aren't looking as rock-solid as in times past, reminding me that even those kind of jobs and 'guaranteed pensions' are now up for grabs.

Seems like much of our life can become about pretending that we're not totally insecure and dependent.  The problem with that feeling (the whole 'I'm in control...' thing) is that it's a delusional feeling.

Even when you're not stressed about something immediate--therefore feeling 'secure'--you're not really secure, you're just enjoying the illusion of security.

Being an entrepreneur who works in show-business is about as crazy as it gets.  Church planting is a close cousin.  I routinely wonder if I wouldn't be better off putting widgets on thingy's, trading the hours of my life away for 'guaranteed' income.

Serfdom.

But, man, if I don't feel up against it some days.

I've spent the past couple days (just back from Vancouver) trying to figure out a way to finish out our current season given stark new realities that took us completely by surprise and are fiscally-unfriendly to say the least.

Once again, tasked to perform the impossible.

I did it though.  Found a way to make the numbers work.  Sorta'.  I could hear it in the voice of my business partner.  He wasn't thrilled (we are, after all, still in great jeopardy...) but he was happy.  Happy because the model I'd come up with fit with what he knew we could do moving forward.

Relief sounds nice, even if it's in someone else's voice.

Friday past I had a really good meeting.  Really good.  It was with a top network executive talking through some details on a new series for 2009/2010.  Looks like we might be making a move up the creative ladder from a straight-up 'talk television' application to a 'bio-documentary' application which is more challenging/rewarding from a filmmaker's perspective.

We hope to have that deal sewn up before the month is out.

And in other news, while shooting in L.A this last time, one of our guests took a liking to us and our work and asked if we had anything else cooking.  Funny enough, we did, so we showed him our mock trailer and he freaked--loved it--and we've proceeded (a month later) to start moving towards a potential co-production relationship on what might be a new dramatic TV series.

He's an established Hollywood TV producer with a major series currently on the air in it's fourth season, so a real 'player' and that's pretty exciting.

The point is this.

1) Even when you feel like you're about to blow, keep going.
2) Even when you can't take it no more, keep going.

Because...

3) It's along the way that you'll probably catch your breaks.

If you're on the sidelines you're out of the stream and it's only in the stream that you get to move downriver and it's only downriver where you find the sea and beyond the sea lie the endless lands and that's where we got's to be.

Right?

T

No comments: