Sunday, February 1, 2009

Traveling home...


No, that's not our 'luggage'.  That's our carry on baggage!  Yes, we were a cautionary tale yesterday at the airport.  We're like freaks, like Martians, like Mormons.

So many kids and so many bags it's enough to make you pity us.

(most of the women passing by looked on us with wonder and jealousy in their eyes, though...)

Lemme' tell you, I was the last guy off the plane, and not 'cause I wanted to but 'cause it took me fifteen minutes to figure out how to lug all that stuff you see off the plan singlehandedly. Yes, my wife and kids left first--they had to pee.

I felt like such a loser.

And nobody offered to help.

("Poor guy, can't keep it in his pants.  Maybe he'll give himself a hernia.  Might be a good thing...")

But on the plane?  Kids were good as gold.  The usual thing happened (yes, we fly with them A LOT, clearly--like with our sex life--we just haven't learned our lesson yet...) at the end of the flight with everybody near us (like at least ten different people) telling us how amazingly good our children were.

It's like we're the "FAMILY...OF...DOOM..." when boarding.  Everyone's like, "Oh great, four kids, and a baby with them.  There goes my peaceful flight.  Welcome to five hours of HELL everybody..."  Then our kids blow them away with their politeness, their easygoing-ness, their quietness, their shiny eyes and dispositions.

We have great kids.

Pack rats though.

But we're home.  And, let me tell you, getting home was great.  And here's the strange thing. We were staying in a 1.7 million dollar home in Vancouver right in the heart of this cool 'urban village' where we could walk to everything.  Pretty hot spot.  

(a tub me and the Missus could share...)

But regardless of how high we were livin', there's no place like home.

Our humble Burlington side-split hit the spot last night.  Lookin' all nice and lovely and family-ish and ready to have us back.  The neighbor kids shrieking with delight as our kids arrived didn't hurt either.

And my sports car started up on the first turn today.

(took me an hour and a half to dig it out of a month's worth of snow, but my tarp did it's magic and my Si emerged flawlessly clean--as usual...)

It's a happy day in the Cantelon household.

So I'll watch the Superbowl today then tomorrow I'll study for the twenty six celebrity interviews I'm going to shoot in L.A later this week.

Yes, more flying.  Tuesday.  

And yes...

I'll miss my kids.

T

No comments: