Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Soooo....tiiiired


Oh man, oh man, what a day.

I haven't had to 'man up' that hard since directing my first feature-film.

We shot segments for 14 shows today.  Seven segments per show.  Four standing up, three sitting down.

98 segments in one day.

And I started the day fried.  Seriously, I had nothing.  Every bit of performance I brought to the table today was simply and only from gut level, in fact, I can barely type.

Today's experience was another reminder that doing what you love and feel called to do is almost never glamorous.  In fact, most times doing your job is just that, doing your job.

Might as well be a brick layer.

The challenge though is that I'm not laying bricks.  I'm trying to communicate meaning to people, trying to connect to them in a way that's inspiring and motivating and redemptive and true and good and lasting.

Doing that from a place of emptiness is one of the hardest things I do.

At the end of a day like today all you can say is "Thank God that's over..." while reminding yourself why you set out to do 'this' in the first place while holding fast to the simple truth that each day spent in the trenches gets you a little further down the road to becoming who and what you've been made to be.

And now, I sleep.

T

No comments: