Sunday, June 21, 2009

daddy...


Short and sweet today.

I'm a Dad.  Four times over.  There they are, chillin' in our newly minted hot tub.

I changed the water and washed it down and re-filled it for the first time today.  Told the wife that I feel very 'grown-up'.  Funny to experience the whole 'the more you have the more work you'll do...' thing first-hand.  It's going to be a whole other THING keeping that tub in tip top shape.

They say you should empty it every six weeks and re-fill it unless you have a higher 'bather load' than usual.

With my four kids, and their assorted friends added to the fact that wifey and I (and our friends) really like the thing we definitely qualify for the every four weeks thing.

The point is...

Having kids makes your life harder.  There's more to do, more to sweat, more to stress about, more to clean, more to care about, more noise, more mess, more mayhem, more crying, and more poop than you'll ever have if it's just you and your wife.

But you'll have less fun, less joy, less love, less wisdom, less perseverance, less endurance, less selflessness, less laughter, less dancing, less ice cream, less kissing, less squeezing, less hi-jinks and much less opportunity to see the glorious beauty in all the little things if you never have 'em.

So, this is my advertisement for babies.

We started young.  We had 'em close together.  We kept going 'till the wife KNEW she'd had enough.

It's been the greatest and hardest and most glorious thing we've ever done.

I believe I'm turning into much more of a man and an artist and a preacher and a producer and a husband because of them.

If you're on the fence I suggest you hop it brother.

Knock that lady up.

T

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know that I would not be half the man I am today if it weren't for my wife and two boys.

No fence sitting here!