Tuesday, June 23, 2009

it's the simple things...


Like a Heineken and a Muskoka/Adirondack chair on your front patio at dusk in June.

Those are the things you live for, right?

Those quiet moments where you feel at peace.

We went to our favorite lakeside burger joint for dinner and ice cream followed by a walk to the lighthouse and some play at the park while Daddy looked at the sailboats tonight.

And there was this guy in line at the burger joint who was so stressed and upset he was making the rest of us lose our joy.  Snapping at his kids, arguing with the staff.  A real pill.  And I was thinking to myself, "That guy's miserable.  Note to self, never end up like him so help me..."

Then it comes time for ice cream.  

The same staff who were being harassed by the dude are serving his family and mine.  Our cones end up TWICE the size of the cones they made for him.

Was it because he was nasty and I was nice?

Dunno.

But it made me think.   Made me remind myself to stay simple and thankful no matter how hard life gets or how complicated.

Made me confess to myself that it's never anyone else's fault.

Made me remember to mention it to you as I sat on my front porch drinking a beer while the sun sets and my wife gets the baby to sleep.

Reminded me it's the simple things.

T

No comments: