Friday, June 26, 2009

revenge of the daddy...


Saw it last night.

Very cool.  Enjoyed it along with a packed house that clapped at the end and at two other points during the film.  When was the last time you were in a movie and the people spontaneously started clapping?

When was the last time that happened in Church when you were preaching?

Seems a good litmus test no?

Only problem with the movie is that my son is supposed to go see it today as part of a birthday party for his friend who's turning 8.

Eight.

Did you see 'Revenge of the Fallen'?  

Not for eight year olds.  

I went to see it last night to 'vet' it in advance of either letting my son go or telling him he couldn't.  Sitting there as the college girl mounted Shia while the camera pushed in up her thong-split ass I realized that I was going to have to be 'that Dad' and tell my son he couldn't go.

Then I realized, "Well, I don't have to be THAT Dad, I can be me."

And I knew that--beyond my son's disappointment--the real issue was going to be that the parents of my son's friend were going to think we're religious for not letting Jordan go.  

I hate that.

'Cause the last thing we're trying to be is religious folk.  In fact, much of our life and my work have been oriented to position us in such a way that we're the opposite of what you'd think when you think 'religious folk'.

We're much more 'blue state' than 'red state' if it comes to that.

My Dad always said you should get more and more liberal as you age, and I think he's right.

So I was feeling torn but I knew what the right and good thing was to do.  So this morning I walked downstairs and my kids looked at me right away.  They'd been waiting to see me so that I could render my verdict.  I sat down.  "You know kids, I'm sorry to say it, but the movie is just too mature for you."

My eldest started crying.

So I told him to come sit on me and I soothed him and explained a bit more but a few minutes later--when it was shower time for mommy and I upstairs--Jordan (said eldest) came and sat on the toilet still tormented about not being able to go.  He sighed then asked for details as to why he couldn't go.

(moment of truth)

So I told him about the language--not that the words themselves were bad but the way in which they were used was--and the violence and the drinking and the gogo dancing and the too-high maturity level.

It still wasn't enough for him.  

"What do you mean by 'too mature' Daddy?"

So I told him the truth.

"You know Jordan, there are some scenes with some sexual content where boys and girls are doing things that only husbands and wives should be doing..."

(whoops, there go my blue state readers....)

He stood right up.  "Okay, I'll take your word for it."

And that was that.

Pretty healthy stuff if you ask me.  His Mom and Dad are showering together while talking to each other and to him about healthy boundaries, and he totally buys it.

Love that.

Love him.

That's why he's got to wait to see a movie I loved.

T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

hm, that is pretty cool. I hope I'll be that clever of a Dad when it comes to "protecting" Alea from this kind of stuff.

Hans